Thursday, June 14, 2012

On Music and Something About Sweaters?

Ok, so, for those of you that didn't know, I love music. LOVE music. And one of my favourite genres/eras is the post-punk stuff that bridged the gap between classic punk and New Wave. Something about this music is just...it has essence, I guess. It's hard to explain.

For those that are music ignorant, post-punk bands that may have heard of include The Cure, Joy Division/New Order, The B-52's, and Devo. Some evolved out of the first wave of punk and many more were definitely influenced by it. Post-punk itself evolved into many different genres, two of the biggest being the gothic rock (or just "goth") movement (such as The Cure and Siouxsie and the Banshees) and New Wave (such as New Order and A Flock of Seagulls). Most of these post-punk bands are mainstays on alternative rock stations, especially those focusing on the '80's.

Anyways, I love this type of music. The gothic rock stuff in particular. And by goth I don't mean kids that dress in black and act all depressed all the time. (Though, to be fair, there was a lot of that, and to be even more fair to the (former) goth kids (who are now all adults), you got replaced by something worse...emo kids.) Goth was so much more than that, IS so much more than that. But then again, all sub-cultures have their stereotype faces and their hidden depths. Some of my all time favourite bands can be considered, at one time or another in their careers, gothic rock bands. The Cure, Bauhaus, The Cult, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Sisters of Mercy...and those are just post-punk bands.

Again, to move away from being sidetracked, I'm only talking about this because one of my new favourite bands that I kind of knew about before but didn't really start listening to until recently is a post-punk band by the name of The Psychedelic Furs. Their biggest hit is probably Pretty in Pink. Yes, the main theme song for the Molly Ringwald movie of the same name. That's pretty much all I have to say, is that I'm really into The Psychedelic Furs right now. In fact, that's the whole point of this post, was to say I like them.

...In other news, I'm totally gay for Star Wars: The Old Republic. I spend probably half my gaming time on it. I know I'll burn out on it, I always do on MMO's, but this one is fun as heck so far. I'm a Sith Pureblood Marauder, and I kill stuff with hate and my mind and two lightsabers. Right now I have an orange one and a yellow one. If I stick with it, I'm going to get my PvP up and get some purple 'sabers. Yeah, just like the biggest BAMF out there...Samuel L. Jackson, aka Mace Windu in those prequel movies. Actually I want a purple one and a green black-core one, but I probably won't order the Razer stuff anytime soon, so I will probably just be dual-wielding purples. Or maybe purple and red-black. Who knows, I'll probably never get there.

So, time for bed. To recap, love The Psychedelic Furs and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

~~Samm is Jhageko, Jhageko is Samm

No comments:

Post a Comment